Saturday, November 12, 2011

What to do with Sunchokes

Today I decided to try something new that I know is a healthy food and have not eaten before. I chose the sunchoke. I have looked at them with interest in the grocery store but did not know what the heck to do with them. In studying the digestive system over the last few months I have learned that they are an important native North American food that aids digestion by providing inulin as a prebiotic to keep our gut flora healthy. I know that is not appetizing but it is important to our overall health to keep those good little buggers happy. I want to start using at least one good prebiotic food in my diet daily. I have seen a few recipes that call for using them raw but have not tried them. You can peel them if you want to but I did not. I have not found info. that says you cannot eat the skins. I think peeling them would be a pain.
*A word of warning. Some people get gas after eating foods rich in inulin
I am leaving measurements and amounts up to you as I was cooking enough for myself.

Sunchokes with vegan garlic, black pepper mayo

sunchokes
coconut oil
veganaise
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
black pepper to taste

Bring a pot of water to a boil, add salt, drop the sunchokes in one at a time. Boil them until they can be easily poked into with a fork or knife. I boiled them for about 12 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 and coat a baking dish with coconut oil. Slice the sunchokes lengthwise and lay them in the oil. Put them in the oven to bake until they brown just a little bit, maybe 10 minutes.
Chop your garlic giving it enough time to rest for 10 minutes before consuming. This resting time allows the nutrients to be freed. Just an FYI garlic is also a great source of inulin.
Take the desired amount of veganaise and put it in a bowl with the chopped garlic and black pepper. Mix well.
Serve the sunchokes with the vegan garlic, black pepper mayo.

Try something new and healthy in your diet this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment