Tuesday, January 11, 2011

More on Anti-inflammatory foods

I have blogged about inflammation and an anti-inflammatory diet a few times I know. It has become one of the most common issues and topics discussed in most of the nutrition & natural medicine classes I take. It is a real problem for so many people.

Here are some foods to eat on anti-inflammatory diet.
Vegetables...that are lower in carbohydrates like within a 3% to 6% carb category...some of those are...asparagus, broccoli,red and green cabbage, celery, swiss chard, cucumber, endive, cauliflower, lettuces, dandelion and mustard greens, spinach, radishes, beets and beet greens, brussel sprouts, kale eggplant,parsnips, bok choy,leeks, red peppers, parsley, etc.
Legumes... lentils, kidney, adzuki, garbanzo,mung black and pinto beans, fermented soy (miso,tempeh)...steam the veggies
Grains... millet,oatmeal,quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat, teff, basmati and brown rice,rye
Fruit...1 or 2 pieces of any almost any fruit per day especially in the 3 to 6 % carbohydrate category like melons, strawberries, rhubarb, blackberries, cranberries, kiwi, peaches,plums, raspberries and apricots..baking the fruit is good
Sweetners...pure maple syrup, brown rice syrup, raw honey and stevia
Nuts and Seeds...Most are ok
Drinks... Minimum of half your body weight in ounces per day, herbal teas and a small amount of soy, rice, oat or almond milk per day
Dairy... small amount of organic butter and eggs is ok
Meat...Meat only no skin from wild, organic or free range chicken, turkey, wild game, lamb and venison
Spices... all are ok
Seafood...Wild salmon, trout, tuna, halibut, cod (wild cold water fish) poach, bake or broil


Foods that are not ok....
Drinks...Sodas, coffee, caffeinated teas, alcohol
Nuts and Seeds...Peanuts and peanut butter
Sweetners... no sugar or sugar substitutes like Nutra Sweet
Dairy... dairy products including animal milks, cheeses, commercial eggs
Fruit...Citrus fruits but lemon is ok
Meat...beef, pork, some organic beef is ok in small amounts
Legumes...Tofu can cause a reaction in some so you have to test it by allowing it in the diet and eliminating from the diet
Grain...white flour, wheat cereals, breads, pasta
Vegetables...Potatoes, tomatoes
Seafood... Shellfish..shrimp, crab, clams, lobster,
Corn products, fried foods, hydrogenated oils, processed foods

Apples, blueberries, grapes,pears, cherries, pomegranate, pineapple, carrot, peas, squash, artichokes are in the 15% carbohydrate category and in the 20 % are bananas, figs, prunes, yams and sweet potatoes.
A nutritionist I took a class from on this topic said it is not a fun diet and you will get out of it what you put into it. I know it is super hard for me to give up my caffeinated teas like black and green teas. I also realize that I notice the difference in eating an inflammatory food as opposed to an anti-inflammatory food. For instance I have been eating more breads lately that are wheat and I was only eating sprouting seven grain breads. I recently switched to a spelt bread and totally can tell a difference. If I eat potatoes which I love like most people my body lets me know that I should not do it. I used to drink 34 to 36 ounces of water everyday which is not half my body weight but it worked for me and I have stopped and my body is telling me about it. So listen to your body when you eat. If you think a food is a problem but are not sure eliminate for a week or two or three and then add it back and see what happens.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    very valuable and effective post!!!
    good details about nutrition & natural medicines...
    Raw Honey

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a GREAT list! Thanks Keri!

    ReplyDelete