Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Raw Pad Thai salad & basic seitan

I have been/am sick with allergies and sinus issues so I have stayed off the computer for awhile but I tried 2 new recipes that tuned out great thayt I want to share. The first is Raw Rad Thai...recipe by Annie Phyo and the second is a basic seitan loaf by Ann Gentry. Seitan is made from wheat gluten flour and also wheat flour so those with sensitivities to wheat need to avoid this recipe.

Raw Pad Thai is suppossed to be served with kelp noodles which I could not find. I did but sheets of kelp and tried those but I have a real hard time with the flavor of seaweeds so 4 bites is my max. It is so healthy for you though. For that reason I encourage you to try it.


Raw Pad Thai

sauce

2 tbs. almond butter
1/3 cup coconut oil
1tbs. Bragg's Amino's
1 tsp. corriander
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup water
1/2 red jalepeno

Blend in blender my version

2-3 cups spring greens
kelp noodles 1 cup chopped green
1/2 cup basil cabbage
1/2 cup spring greens

Pour the sauce mixture over the noodles and greens


Basic Seitan

Have equpiment prepared before making the dough to make the transfer easy.

Actual recipe from Ann Gentry My version

3 cups gluten flour 2 cups gluten flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour 1 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup nutritional yeast 2 tsp. corriander
2 tsp. ground corriander 2 tsp. poultry seasoning
2 tsp. ground sage 1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. ground ginger 4 cups water
1 tsp. sea salt 1/2 cup olive & grapeseed oil
4 cups water 1/3 cup nama shoyu
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup tamari


Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking pan woth parchment paper & lightly oil the parchment. Combine the dry ingredients and in a seperate bowl whisk together the wet ingredients. Quickly stir in the wet mixture to the dry until a very wet dough forms. Transfer dough to baking dish. I had plenty of wet mixture left over to bast with while cooking. The recipe says to cover with foil but I just used the lid to the baking dish. Bake for 2 hours . The recipe calls for you to put the baking dish inside of a roasting pan adding enough water to come halfway up the sides. I did not do this. Check occassionally adding the leftover wet mix if needed. Cool to room temperature and cut into sections to freeze for later. My version made 2 sections to freeze and we ate the third. Wrap seitan in plastic wrap and enclose in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag. Freeze up to 2 weeks. Serve with BBQ sauce or gravy. This is a great fall/winter dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment