Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Green Juice

I am shocked at myself that it has taken me this long to post about juicing and how great I think it is. For 2 years now I have been making fresh juices for my husband in order to make sure he is getting the proper nutrition from his veggies and all of the cancer fighting benefits they have to offer. Some say just eat the vegtable or fruit and I agree. We should do that too but liquid is absorbed easier and faster by our bodies. If you eat well and balanced and eat plenty of plant based foods you will get enough fiber while still juicing. Green juices pack a punch and boost the immune system. I always use organic veggies. Organic everything. I don't want to add pesticide residue to my healthy drinks.
Here is my green juice recipe...
Kale at least 3 big leaves if not more
Spinach...a handfull
Parsley... a handful
Dandelion Greens... a handful
2 carrots...whole
1 medium granny smith apple
2 or 3 celery stalks
1/2 medium cucumber

Add green leafy veggies to juicer first and follow with celery then carrots, apple, cucumber. The celery, apple and cucumber will push the rest of the veggie juices through. This makes about 5 ounces of juice. Eight ounces is optimal. Of course there are many other things you can add like lettuces, beets, chard,etc. but not the soft stuff like avocado..those can't go into a juicer. You can mix them in later in a blender though. Green juices are a great energy boosts as well as nutritionally packed. It is satisfying to make your own juices especially if you turn a bottle or carton over at the store and read all of the crap that is added to those juices with very little exception. It is easy and if you do the math not expensive.
I started off using a Jack Lalanne but have graduated to a Breville Fountain Juicer. There are many on the market to chose from. Get one and start making your own juices. It's fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment