Saturday, January 30, 2010

Simply Living

One morning last week I was saying my 10 gratefuls for the day. This is something I do each morning to remind myself that I have much to be grateful for in my life no matter what is going on. So one of my things was living a simpler life. After I said it the thought came to me that to a lot of people our lives, my husband & mine, probably seems anything but simple. He has a very serious health issue, our diet is very strict, we are living on one income that is not great by modern standards,etc. These things have taught us well how to really live our lives. My favorite shopping experience is to the health food stores not the department stores. A treat comes my way when the Farmer's Markets open up in early Spring and I can "window shop" the stalls. Preparing our meals has become a creative process for me not a chore that I would rather not have to do. To me simple doesn't mean living without but appreciating what I do have and not constantly adding to a wish list of more. It means believing and trusting in a higher source and ourselves to take care of us in all ways. No more money blues or worries but not because we won the lottery but because we feel safe and know that the universe or source makes sure that we have what we need to take care of ourselves & each other. Living simply to me means being happy with myself and what I am doing right now in the present moment. It means loving so much it is almost tangible. It means finding meaning in everything. I live this way and it is a beautiful life. I am not saying that I don't get anxious sometimes or sad but I allow myself to experience these things and then turn them around. Living simply is simply living. It took serious illnesses in both of us for us to wake up to our lives. Don't wait for something like that to happen to wake up to yours. Everyday is full of possibility and opportunity you just need to take off the blinders to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment