Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Chia seeds & almond milk

I just finished a breakfast that excites me...Homemade almond milk with chia seeds. The same little seeds used to sprout green hair on chia pets. Chia seeds offer great nutritional value. They are high in omega 3 fatty acids, have protein, iron, magnesium, phospherous, calcium,and more. They also turn into a gel in the body which slows the process of carbohydrates being turned into sugars. Chia seeds were a staple of the Aztecs & Mayans diet. It is said that just 1 to 2 tablespoons would sustain a warrior for up to 24 hours. I first had them this past July in Santa Monica at our favorite raw foods resturant. I have been hunting for them here at home ever since. I finally found them yesterday at our local herb store.
Almond milk is pretty easy. Soak 1 cup almonds 4 to 8 hours in fresh water. add 1 cup soaked almonds to 4 cups water and blend. Strain through cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer squeezing the excess milk from the cheesecloth. Store in the fridge. Pretty tastey and healthy!

1 comment:

  1. Keri, I have found that if I do my pudding really early in the morning and let it sit a bit that I do not have to refrigerate it and have it cold. In less than an hour it turns to pudding consistency. It is just nice room temp in the colder months. Chia is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete