Saturday, August 1, 2009

Great trip to the Farmer's Market

I just got back from the Farmer's Market and I am thrilled with my purchases. I got 3 beautiful big sunflowers which I will use the heads (the middle part where the seeds grow) after they die like scrub brushes. I read about doing this in Mother Earth News. 3 stems were $5. One lady had 2 containers of blackberries so I scooped up one. Man are they tasty and so good for you,especially when you are fighting off cancer. I also found something new to me that I think is a score even though we have not tasted it yet. It is Malabar Spinach. It is a leafy green that is not actually a spinach it tastes like it. It is a vining plant that thrives in summer heat when most other greens are wilting and dying. It is high in vitamins A&C, iron, and calcium. It is also a good source of chlorophyll and thought to be useful in removing toxins from the body. It has several other names like Ceylon Spinach, Vietnamese Spinach, Lo Kwai,Paag-Prung,Gendola,to name a few. This info comes courtesy of Kansas City Urban agriculture kccua.org . One of the greatest urban farms around in my opinion. I love the produce they grow and they are always friendly.
Now I am off to work. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment